The key principles for personal protective equipment (PPE) usage are:
- You must change gloves/aprons between patients.
- You must decontaminate your hands between patients.
- Remember to avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes.
- COVID-19 is spread predominantly by respiratory droplets, hence surgical masks are appropriate for routine care.
- Surgical masks are to be worn by patients with possible or confirmed COVID-19 if tolerated, provided this does not compromise care.
- Administration of pressurised humidified oxygen and administration of medication via nebulisation are not aerosol generating procedures.